Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Young Professional: Wedding photographer captures lasting memories

 

 

Local wedding photographer Craig Vollmer poses for a photo Thursday in his Old Town office. / V. Richard Haro/The Coloradoan
Question: Explain what you do.
Answer: Creating the unique images brides want is just the first part of what we do. Our aim for every wedding is not only to deliver rocking images but to have everything be fun and easy before, during and after the wedding.
We do this by becoming wedding partners with our couples, helping them find a caterer or cake, having safety pins in the camera bag for dress malfunctions, and processing images quickly for newlyweds so they are ready when they get back from their honeymoon.
Q: How did you get into the business?
A: I started in art photography and modeling shoots. Once I shot my first ceremony I fell in love with creating wedding images.
I brought my artistic expertise and threw myself into photographing weddings. Everyone looks amazing and the day is full of excitement and emotion. Once I started I knew I had found my calling.
Q: What are the biggest challenges you or your industry face?
A: The national economy has had an impact on the wedding industry. Couples are still getting married, but many are waiting longer to book their vendors. This can lead to disappointment when there is a wedding couple I click with but have already booked that day.
Q: What are the biggest rewards of your job?
A: Creating images that will be held dear by the couple for the rest of their life together is why I do what I do. Being a wedding photographer is a huge responsibility and I take it on with a big smile on my face as I think of a bride sharing her wedding day images with her daughter someday.
Q: What advice do you have for someone else thinking about a career in your field?
A: Don’t ask a friend or family member if you can shoot their wedding to practice your wedding photography. I’ve heard too many stories that end poorly in terms of photos and friendships.
Instead, find a professional wedding photographer and take them to lunch and see if they will let you apprentice. This will let you practice your art with a safety net and learn the equally important business side.
Q: What did you want to be when you grew up?
A: I wanted to be a paleontologist
Q: What kept you from pursuing that vision?
A: I was eight, and I had zero interest in really being a paleontologist. Turns out I really just wanted to see dinosaurs fight each other. The “Jurassic Park” movies satiated that desire.
Q: Where do you see yourself career-wise in 10 years?
A: We are looking to hire a few full-time photographers in the next two years. In 10 years we plan to have several photographers on staff so we can serve more of the Front Range.
Another passion is to offer classes on wedding photography. Weddings are a blast but very complicated, shooting while keeping your calm and getting the image your bride wants takes time to learn. I believe in passing on expertise to those who want to learn.
Q: Outside of work, what’s your favorite thing to do and your favorite place to do it?
A: Travel. I love Fort Collins, but I have had the travel bug for a long time. From Bolivia to Turkey and Japan to Spain, I have only learned that there is much more of the world to see and be amazed by. The rewards of travel are endless. For instance, I met my Swedish wife while backpacking in Cambodia. Or, as I like to say, "Best souvenirever."
Q: What role does volunteerism/giving back play in your work or personal life?
A: The Mathews House, Realities for Children, Team Fort Collins, Teaching Tree, Alzheimer's Association and the Fort Collins Area Chamber of Commerce have been wonderful to work with over the years. Anyone reading this need only work with one of these organizations to understand how important it is to get off the sidelines and become involved.
Q: What role does social media play in your business and how do you utilize it?
A: When people “like” us on Facebook they are able to check out images from our latest sessions and get a few photography tips. I love the immediacy of social media, it lets people get to know us before they even pick up the phone.




No comments:

Post a Comment